Overview of NRV Hazard Mitigation Plan
The 2011 New River Valley Hazard Mitigation Plan was updated in 2009 and 2010. The New River Valley Planning District Commission partnered with Radford University's Geography Department to prepare a revised plan that maintains the region's eligibility for FEMA's disaster mitigation program funds. The hazard mitigation workgroup updated the plan by further identifying known hazards, assessing potential risks, and developing mitigation strategies to protect lives and property and to prepare the region for disasters that may strike.
Each locality was invited to participate in the planning process. Along with their participation, community representatives and the area's experts in emergency management and the region's hazard risks also participated in developing the goals and strategies for making the New River Valley more hazard-resistant.
Information about the process is available on this website. While comments for the 2011 plan update are no longer being taken, you can submit comments on hazard mitigation through the "Public Input" or "Contact Us" links.
Navigating the Website
- Mitigation Fact Sheet: You'll find a summary of hazard mitigation and why we have a hazard mitigation plan
- Calendar of Events: Meeting and events in the region related to preparing the plan are posted here.
- 2011 Plan:The plan was adopted by the 12 participating localities and approved by FEMA. This plan update will be in effect until November 28, 2016.
- 2005 Mitigation Plan: A copy of the last plan prepared is available for your information.
- Public Input: While comments for the 2011 plan update are no longer being taken, you can submit comments on hazard mitigation from the website with this tool.
- Resources: These include links to other agencies and hazard mitigation for homes and businesses and copies of presentations made during the planning process
- Contact Us: Please e-mail us with any questions or requests for information.